· Money is fun…if you’ve got some!
· Most people aren’t doing real good w/money
· If you’ve made big time mistakes with money that makes you…normal
· Money doesn’t change you…it makes you more of who you already are.
· Did you know Money is the #1 cause of divorce in America?
· The Bible has a lot to say about money—really simply stuff, really easy to understand, really HARD to do.
· What you find in the Bible that the key to winning with money is mostly about behavior. The problem with my money is the guy in mirror!!!!
Financial Hacks from Proverbs
· Message from Proverbs on money is generally positive!!!!
· Proverbs has lots of money hacks, that work over time
o This takes time…not a microwave
· All these truth have to be acknowledged and practiced, not selective
- Honor God First!
· Why? You are not an owner. You are an asset manager for God.
· This is the starting place or foundation of everything the Bible has to say about money. If you don’t start here everything else the Bible teaches will seem dogmatic and make you cynical.
· Prov 3:9-10 Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; 10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
We honor God in all things financial and in first fruits because God is owner/we are manager.
- Work Hard!
· Prov 14:23 There is profit in all hard work, but endless talk leads only to poverty.
· This is an amazing life hack that works every time: Work = $
· Work is not a curse! In Genesis BEFORE the fall, God gave Adam work to do. It was not punishment. There were real fulfillment/purpose things attached to it.
o Adam worked the land and it paid him back in fruit/harvest
· You’ll acquire more money if you work hard and are full of wisdom. But if all you care about is getting more money, you are the biggest fool.
· Exploiting this Hack will make you and those around you miserable!
· Extremes to be avoided: Workaholism, Worship of money
- Set a Budget….and live Within it!
· My kids watching commercials: “I want that, I want that, I want that!”
· Act your wage: You are not Congress!
· “ A foolish man devours all he has. ”—Proverbs 21:20
· In the Bible when you’re called a fool its bad…fools don’t make it in the Bible
· Would you build a house without a blue print? Would you let someone build your house who drew out your house plans with a crayon on a napkin?
· If your finances we seen as company assets and board oversight: Would you get fired for mismanagement?
- Get out of Debt!
· Debt = Risk. 100% of foreclosures occur with homes with a mortgage
· Bible is pretty straightforward on debt: It is enslaving. “ The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender. ” —Proverbs 22:7
· Slaves don’t have any options. Slaves have to keep jobs they hate because they have to pay bills. Slaves can’t be generous because all their money is committed.
· Dave Ramsey: “MasterCard: Appropriate. Anyone Discovered bondage? How about American Distress?” Any experiencing that right now?
· Average Car Payment in America: $478 over 84 months. Hope you like the car!
· Why do we get in debt? To impress people we don’t like.
- Save and Invest!
· “In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil. ” —Proverbs 21:20
· Save for an emergency—something will come up
· Out earning your stupidity doesn’t work!
· Save up and pay cash—there’s a thought! Did you know you spend 12-18% more when you use a credit card?
· Save and Invest: $100 a month invested in growth stock mutual fund from age 30-70 = $1,176,000 at retirement
· “Here’s how God doesn’t provide – the lottery and all the get-rich-quick schemes. But how does God get us ahead? Little by little. That is by our patient, intelligent efforts over a lifetime—not by windfalls but by handfuls. “ Ray Ortlund
· Why does God bless us little by little. Because while he is BLESSING us he is BUILDING us.
- Give Generously!
· Do you want to have a good time or do you want to leave a legacy? You can do both when you become a generous giver.
· “A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” Prov 11:25
· Regular giving is like an regular AA meeting attendance: “my name is Nathan and I like stuff”
· Many people don’t give because they can’t give. There is no margin.
· Money is a blessing from God, but you’ll be more blessed if you give it away.
· God gives you money because he is generous, but he is generous with you so that you can be generous with others. And if you are generous with your money, God will likely be more generous with you.
· IMO: 10/10/80 is one of the best ways to live with money! How do you get there? Lets look at the Last hack….
- Reject the Lie that Money = Happiness
· This hack is not a to-do….it’s a stop doing!
· Money isn’t everything.
o It does not satisfy
o It is inferior to wisdom
o It is inferior to righteousness
o It is inferior to the fear of the Lord
o It is inferior to humility
o It is inferior to good relationships
· Prov 30:7-9 “Two things I ask of you, Lord; do not refuse me before I die: 8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. 9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.
· There are extremes of wealth and poverty that provide unique temptations to those who live in them
· Paul: Godliness with Contentment is great gain!
· It is nice to have money. It is wise to save money. Making more money can be a great thing for you. But don’t ever think money gives you real security.
· Security come from Christ!
o Money is a short-term condition. The abundance or lack of it will only be felt for one life, so don’t get tangled up in it.” Max Lucado
· Eternity has been secured at the cross. You’re crazy rich
- Quote: One who sacrifices her body, sleep, social life, spending money, eating hot meals, peeing alone, patience, energy and sanity for LOVE!
Motherhood is such an all-encompassing thing. When you think of the primary objective of being a Mom what is it in your mind?
- A Mother’s Primary Purpose: Love
- Prov 3:3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
What does Proverbs teach you about Parenting?
- Proverbs Teaching on Parenting:
- · Proverbs 22:6 Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.
- · Prov 19:18 NLT Discipline your children while there is hope. Otherwise you will ruin their lives.
- · Or said another way…
- · Prov 13:24 Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them
- · One of the best examples of this is in Prov 31, which paints a pretty vivid picture of a godly woman and mother.
- · Speaking of a mothers mentoring it says: Prov 31:26 When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness.
Proverbs 31:13-18 She finds wool and flax and busily spins it. 14 She is like a merchant’s ship, bringing her food from afar. 15 She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day’s work for her servant girls. 16 She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard. She is energetic and strong, a hard worker. 18 She makes sure her dealings are profitable; her lamp burns late into the night.
- Remember that you are worthy of God's grace.
- Love others and pray for others.
- Work hard in everything you do.
- Wake up early and start the day with God.
- Give and receive forgiveness
- Be strong and endure hard times.
- Put your faith in God to help you when you feel lost.
- Exercise regularly
- Remember that you will be rewarded for your work.