Obsessed: Simple Obedience
- Core Values Series
- Recap, Messy Grace, Walking Together, now Simple Obedience
Where does this Value come from?
- Rom 1:5
- Rom 5:19
- Rom 6:17
Simple Obedience is about an INITIAL and ONGOING surrender to Jesus
Simple obedience is about a FULL and TIMELY response to God’s plainly spoken truth
- Watch out for Common Obedience Pitfalls!
- Listening is not Doing, Reading is not obeying
- Delayed Obedience is Disobedience, Partial Obedience is Disobedience
- Naaman 2 Kings 5
- Covered in Leprosy
- Told to Dips 7 times and will be cured.
- Initially objects and argues about method and river.
- Eventually submits and is healed.
Simple obedience is about the BLESSING not the BURDEN than comes from committing to God in every area of life
- Since the beginning of time people have believed the lie that obeying God completely would make them miserable.
- Forgiving others
- Guarding their speech
- In learning obedience, Jesus restored obedience to its proper place
- Sin says pursuing God’s will is humiliating…Jesus shows us pursuing God’s will brings the highest blessing
- When faith in God produces obedience to God, those obedient lives make God look glorious. That’s what Jesus said in Matt 5:16, “Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”
Helping People Take their Next Step with God
- Messy Grace, Walking Together, Simple Obedience
- Grace, Relationship, then Truth. That was Jesus order. It must be ours too
- Rom 16:25-26 Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, 26 but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience that comes from faith— 27 to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.